A Night with Michael


Hey guys! I know it's been a minute since my last blog post, but I should have a lot more time to write now since I graduated!

Anyways, so since I have a lot more free time, I've been spending a lot of time with family, and since it's near the holidays, we got to watch the Michael Jackson's One show at the Mandalay Bay.

Not only did this show get a whole bunch of his songs stuck in my head, but it made me want to dance and have fun with the dancers. I thought it was going to be a huge light show but I was shown otherwise. The performers did a spectacular job interacting with the crowd and keeping a consistency with the show. There are four characters the audience follows during the show, and it was very intriguing to see not only them but their fellow dancers work beside them.

Most of the songs that were included in the show everyone knew. From "Smooth Criminal" to "Bad" to "Man in the Mirror", none of the music disappointed. Even with it being so close to Christmas, it was still awesome to hear his Halloween favorite, "Thriller." It was also fascinating to see how the performers dressed for each song, because they managed to pull off so much that it was like they were interacting with him even though he passed away in 2009. I think my favorite skit was when they played "Man in the Mirror," and there was a projection of Michael dancing and performing while they worked their way around him as if they were performing with him. The magic was definitely there with that skit.

The use of props was also very well done. The acrobats didn't rely on them to show off their talent, but they complimented whatever they were doing. There was one skit where one of the performers was being harassed by Michael's glove and it just shows that no matter what the man wore, it was still evident people knew what the sparkly glove meant. The show definitely made me want to  get a fedora too. If you do go to the show, pass by the souvenir shop just to see how much sparkles one can put on a shirt. There were interesting combinations when it came to the outfits.

Even though I'm not a big fan of Michael Jackson, the show definitely made me aspire for the man. His music is catchy and the dance moves definitely got me wanting to jive. All in all, the show is a great Cirque show. It also made me realize that artists and musicians are as great when they're alive and so when there's a show dedicated to that artist, don't wait until they passed away to realize how great of an entertainer they are.

My Rating: A



Popular Posts